Sunday, November 14, 2010

CH 6: Making Friends With The Mirror

This chapter ends with Psalm 139:13-16, but I'm going to put it first ....
For you created my inmost being;
You knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be. 

Do you believe this?  Do you truly believe that God created you just as you are?  Do you believe that He knew you before you were even in your mothers' womb? 

If you answered yes to these questions, it should reflect in your attitude when you look in the mirror.  Yes, we may all say well I wish this or I wish that about ourselves.  But as a believer, we should be content deep down that God created us just as we are.

Awhile back we talked about different myths and I think one we could add to their list is the myth that you have to look like Barbie to be important or have a man love you.  My answer to that myth is above ~ God created me, so I am important to Him .... and He has a plan for my life, so if I'm to be married, He'll make sure that man and I cross paths in His timing.

Okay ~ back to the mirror.  This chapter brings out an important point that it's not just about NOT liking ourselves, but the opposite is liking ourselves too much {called vanity}.  Consider this:

Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears {respects and serves} the Lord is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30


Page 57 makes some good points about taking care of ourselves.  It's not vain to eat healthy and exercise .... keep your hair brushed .... wash your face .... smell clean .... unless that becomes your complete focus ~ then you are doing it for yourself and not God.  Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit ~ God created us and we are to take care of it by keeping it healthy. 

Take some time to consider the bottom of page 59 .... female Bible characters, historical figures or special ladies in your own life who impress you the most.  Why are they special?  What did they contribute to society or your life? Why do you admire them ~ because of how they look or the beauty of their actions / investment in other's lives?  {feel free to comment if you'd like to share!}

NOW ~ how about YOU?  What do you want to be remembered for ... your appearance or your passion for God .... to serve Him and others?   My challenge to you is to have a beauty that radiates from the inside!